• 7 Things That Suck About Growing Up

WORDS BY OWEN JAVELLANA

growinguptitlepage

Aside from the obvious things like getting a job and paying bills, there’s a lot that sucks about putting away childish things. Who better than us, the generation that coined “quarter-life crisis,” to highlight these often-overlooked growing pains?

1. Nostalgia

nostalgia

There exists some natural phenomenon that makes every generation believe that “kid stuff” from their childhood was unfailingly great, and kid stuff today is idiotic crap. Case in point, for some reason I once thought Clarissa Explains It All was a good show, but new stuff like The Suite Life of Zack and Cody makes me want to disembowel myself.

2. Slow Metabolism

PD*25087019

Growing up, I could’ve eaten my weight in McNuggets and Snickers and call it a good day. Even in high school I could tear through Funyons with reckless abandon, giving no thought to carbs or calories. And I dunno about you guys, but now my meal choices are governed by portion control, Splenda, and trying to convince myself that exercise doesn’t suck.

3. Higher Film Standards

high movie standards

Grown-ups are hard to please at a theater. But I wasn’t always concerned with lofty concepts like a movie’s “plot.” As a young, starry-eyed lad, my criteria for a good film used to consist of very few questions: Is it animated? Are there good guys that fight bad guys? Is the voice of Robin Williams involved in any way? If the answer to any of these was “yes,” I probably loved it.

4. Planned Outings

planned outing

Seeing your friends was simple back then. No Evites, no “catching up,” no “when’s good for you?” no RSVP, no rescheduling, no Facebook Events, no Facebook Event Reminders. It was simple: What? School. Where? School. When? Every day.

5. Kids Nowadays

kids nowadays copy

In a nutshell, they think they’re cool, they have no respect, they dress like hooligans, they’re spoiled by new technology, and our cartoons were way better than their cartoons. So basically, everything adults used to say about us.

6. Awkward Small Talk

awkward small talk

Kids can just walk up to kids they’ve never met and begin talking about Pokemon, or macaroni, or tell a completely impromptu knock knock joke. Not so with adults. We have to go through some inane, preapproved checklist of topics that includes the weather, the economy, local freeway routes, or sports. And Heaven help you if you’re a guy who’s not a sports fan, cuz let me tell you, small talk is a fucking train wreck of awkwardness. I know.

7. Life Decisions

life decision game-of-life-tattoo

I can’t even choose what I want from 7-11. They have like 6 kinds of hot dogs and 80 kinds of chips. How am I supposed to make decisions that I have to live with for the rest of my life? Do I trust the Geico Gecko or President Palmer from 24? To quote Simon Pegg in Hot Fuzz when he quoted Martin Lawrence in Bad Boys, “Shit just got real.”

So as you struggle through (or reminisce about) the frustrating transition of “getting your grown man on,” remember that there’s a whole generation facing exactly the same thing, ready to complain along with you at the drop of a hat… often via blog.

Post Tags: , , , , , , ,

[...] Guess what? Growing up sucks! [...]

Weekly Round Up | The Steel Closet added these pithy words on Sep 19 09 at 12:01 pm
    very true post! haha about the kids nowadays rant! its my parents favourite conversation to talk about with other people! once theyve done all the small talk about the weather of course! x

rebeccaNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 9:50 am
    I remember feeling the “kids nowadays” symptom, and then I immediately felt old.

casanovaruffinNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 9:52 am
    well said. oh man. but rly though clarissa explains it all, pete and pete, hey dude, salute your shorts…….. the shit! this reminds me… especially the awkward conversations post to like stop talking about that stuff and say random ass shit. however, that may result in others perceiving me as being refreshing or just plain fucking crazy. as i am typing this i am in my cubicle wearing pearls and a scarf like the mini-mrs. bluth doing accounting. ugh.

owen you’re so cool. i have to say that in every post you write.

PaulineNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 10:33 am
    lol. my avatar’s a black dude. LMAO.

PaulineNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 10:37 am
    owait not anymore.

PaulineNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 10:37 am
    lol that’s my avatar, Pauline, your avatar is the one below ur comment.

casanovaruffinNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 10:45 am
    All the chips will kill you, so you don’t really have to decide. Does that make your decision easier?

David LeonhardtNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 10:50 am
    BTW, I seem to be a black dude, too. Maybe that’s what I’ll look like when I grow up.

David LeonhardtNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 10:51 am
    i’ve been told that i have an old soul (which is just a nice way of saying i act like my grandma), so i started experiencing some of these literally before i even graduated high school, and it’s only gotten worse since then. i’m pretty sure that 95% of my life is informed by nostalgia for the old days, from the themes of the parties i throw to the clothes i wear to the slang i use. it’s kind of ridiculous. numbers 4-7 are real bummers, too, though i still eat junk food like it’s going out of style and will pretty much watch any movie that comes out without shame. convincing my friends to see said crappy movies, however, is quite a different story.

roxanneNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 11:32 am
    Kids nowadays picture cracks me up. It’s all true. We’re old. What’s the new generation called? generation Z? God it was nice when I thought I was going to be a famous actress and marry Angel from Buffy; no, not the actor, the vampire..of course.

teNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 11:42 am
    Man. I feel old. I think I did all these in the same day.

Mark MontoyaNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 12:08 pm
    WORD to #1. I still watch cartoons every now and then, and 100% of the time, I think that no cartoon will ever be as great as Animaniacs was. And all the Batman and X-men cartoons of this generation don’t beat the ones of our generation. The 90s X-men theme song alone is better than the current X-men animated series. And WORD to #3. I remember how much I loved the movie “3 Ninjas” when I was a kid. I saw it again as a 23 year old, and it wasn’t nearly as funny or good as I remember. Getting old sucks, but for the record, Rocky still loves Emily!

Camille D.No Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 12:34 pm
    @Camille Dude I googled 3 Ninjas pictures and found some gems that we all might enjoy.

casanovaruffinNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 12:55 pm
    Oh I love this post… so funny and true!!

xoxo

The SeekerNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 2:52 pm
    @Pauline haha thanks!!

@Camille you are awesome for the Rocky loves Emily reference.

and on a related note, Mike Myer’s “So I Married an Axe Murderer” is NOT as funny as it was in 1993. not at ALL.

Owen JavellanaNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 15 09 at 5:13 pm
    wtf where’d you find the picture for #5??

WEST SIDE.

btw feel you on metabolism. Wolverine would have no such problems. (sigh)

The RockNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 16 09 at 10:23 am
    Good post. I’ll rant a bit. There’s the internet for you.

1. Nostalgia
    This is a good point. Sadly though, it seems that most people stiffen gradually as they age. Generations keep to similar patterns of understanding of the world, and as such it takes a long time to change these patterns.

2. Slow Metabolism
    I’m one of the lucky few. I eat what I want, when I want and have almost zero variation of my weight (excluding xmas). I’m still young, in my thirties, so this very well might change soon, but a lot of my of equally aged friends share this worry.

3. Higher Film Standards
    One word: OhThereIsSomuchCrap!

4. Planned Outings
    Oh I like that part. Being a grown up includes doing what you want, when you want! =) Thats the part you didn’t have as a child! (Out of work hours that is..)

5. Kids Nowadays
    Yep. This dates back to Ancient Greece. Probably has a lot to do with #1.

6. Awkward Small Talk
    I disagree! This has more to do with you than growing up. Just try to avoid the (admittedly many) boring people and I’m sure you’re in for some interesting conversations. Most people will snuff you off, but so what?

7. Life Decisions
    Don’t worry. You’re going to f’it up anyway. You really can’t spend too much time contemplating this. After all, life is just a journey from one problem to the next. Handle them as they present themselves to you.

Hiro ProtagonistNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 18 09 at 4:47 pm
    Yeah… planned outings can be drag. Getting old means getting busier. Time to outsource the things that get in the way of fun like cleaning.

Mike

Michael - Fat Loss TipsNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Oct 19 09 at 9:33 am
    Seems like number 7 and number 1 are related. Those complicated decisions make us nostalgic sometimes, LOL.

SuperJewelerNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Oct 21 09 at 8:28 pm
    Outstanding. Really… just spot-on.

BrianNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Nov 09 09 at 10:31 am
    Oh boy, I can related to #6. It gets even more awkward when you ask “What are you up to?”, because 99% of the time people say “Just work.”

Where’s the interesting conversation?

Anjolee Diamond JewelryNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Sep 17 10 at 10:07 am
    The worst thing is, dating a younger girl makes me feel old since i can remember more than she can about TV shows and events. Or just toys growing up.
    Remember Legends of Hidden Temple? yeah, i do too. The Greatest TV Competition Show OF ALL TIME! (it has reruns now on Nick2)

BananaphoneNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Jan 11 11 at 8:26 pm
    Slow metabolism suck, suck and suck. I remember eating a lot and having absolutely no problem. I have to count every calorie now. :( ( Really depressing.

Mike GreenNo Gravatar added these pithy words on May 25 11 at 4:03 pm
    i think alot of the good feelings as a child is the sense that things will get better and better as you get older. we thought the 90s would last forever and the world would only get better. the world of 2011 is a TOTAL nightmare and by age 25 you are no longer mentally picturing your future self, because your future self is old.

the really weird thing is that its hard to take seriously all the supposed “Big moments in life”. everything feels like an anti climax. and mostly boring.

generation Y, has any other generation taken life less seriously?lol

chuckNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Aug 08 11 at 10:30 pm
    Slow metabolism suck, suck and suck. I remember eating a lot and having absolutely no problem. I have to count every calorie now. ( Really depressing.

cenaeuxpNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Nov 29 11 at 12:26 am
    Amazing cheers for the info. A fabolous piece of an article.

cigsNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Dec 06 11 at 7:45 am
    Investigating fresh software program for your daycare organization can be a enjoyment and also easy process. In the following paragraphs I will mention many of the certain things that you need to look at and look for on your quest, to be able to help you create greater plus more careful decisions about buying software program.

The 1st question you’ll want to contemplate is actually what are the particular day-to-day responsibilities that i accomplish right now in which application can help everyone using? At first this particular appears like an easy problem to solution, but if you think about the myriad of jobs that you just finish in one day forex trading this particular simple question can be slightly too much to handle. Imagine strongly regarding the principal jobs you commit hrs of energy about in addition to think of daycare application to be a potential friendly companion who is able to benefit those people chores in a reasonably priced technique. For several daycare facilities the most important things [url=http://www.viasoft.pl/zwcad-professional-cat-229.aspx]zwcad[/url] in which computer software will help using will be quickening their own admin work, and an illustration of this that is automating reports. A few examples of those studies consist of: Presence sheets with regard to monitoring attendance, projections accounts to assist you program ones classes along with make best use of enrolment, as well as robotic invoices and buyer phrases used to send out to mom and dad. Numerous facilities by hand build these types of stories inside Microsof company Expression and Stand out, in addition to are needed to up-date these on a regular basis with fresh facts. A superb application will probably produce most of these reviews automatically for you, helping you save period plus reducing the opportunity involving man mistake. Require a phase back again as well as visualize the amount of time period you may spend developing things like presence bed sheets, now consider precisely what more you’re likely to be undertaking with your moment should you received an amicable program to accomplish this career for you personally.

Studies are just one example of any task which can be manufactured straightforward that has a daycare software program. Help make a listing of the particular management perform which you carry out often and also employ this as ones beginning point that attributes you really feel usually are most important to you personally.

Daycare Software Need to : Spontaneous in addition to Convenient to use
    When you have identified the software program plans that could cope with your specific wants, you should take into account the emotive elements which will help anyone using producing the ultimate decision. Over the years the exploding market regarding applications have become available for use both equally inside personal in addition to business situations. This particular explosion will be continuing in for a rapid pace and can be both equally good and bad with regard to consumers. You might be right now faced with a lot of achievable selections, in addition to blended in between these types of selections are generally daycare applications which might be sluggish, challenging make use of, along with hardly worthy of buying. Software generally is a challenging item to guage because it’s a quickly thorough unit, although We guarantee anyone in which shelling out 20 — 45 centered minutes exploring a software program for the daycare core is plenty time period to understand when a program is easy along with useful, as well as aged and intricate.

In recent times persons get naturally turn out to be proficient at considering sites and application, and the very same instincts will work for anyone whenever exploring a fresh daycare method. It can be component of your our blood to stop websites of which will not make people sense excellent, and stay with websites which are very effective, consequently make use of which identical way of thinking though considering daycare computer software. 1 major over emotional interest as soon as exploring daycare software package will be Ease-of-use. Many stores will probably choose to acquire application but can never work with it due to difficulty in addition to occasion instructed to [url=http://www.viasoft.pl/avast-6-internet-security-cat-158.aspx]programy antywirusowe[/url] make the particular transition off their present systems. Computer software must produce your lifetime much easier, not more complicated. A great guideline will be to ensure ones Nanny could use the program that you will be considering with no justification. If Mom could discover this system, when compared with therefore is it possible to.

Data stored safe and sound
    Protection is additionally extremely important. Kid in addition to loved ones facts can be sensitive files, and has to be located firmly. It system you decide on should have to have a person name along with private data for you to login. Many of the more recent applications usually are web-based as well as make use of SSL technologies in order to encrypt your data and stop that through staying looked at simply by unauthorized functions. Ask the actual distributors you’re utilizing which technologies there’re making use of to keep your data risk-free.

Maintain your Daycare Application recent
    You will also want to consider exactly how preservation along with service are supplied while using daycare software package you select. Like with whatever with existence, computer systems in addition to software applications call for normal preservation in order for these to function effectively, so you should make sure you purchase a software program from a company that will plainly traces their particular plan to provide help along with servicing. This specific permits you to simply funds your continuous expense involving while using the daycare application, getting at assist, in addition to preserving the program up-to-date with all the most current features and also enhancements. You’ll want to question just about any ‘hidden fees’ with regard to technical support as well as completely new merchandise updates.

Avoid getting timid, simply give Daycare Software a try
    When you’ve located the actual daycare program that will cope with the best jobs, is usually risk-free, easy-to-use, possesses a clear service along with maintenance approach, the very last stage is to apply the software as a way to effectively assess it. Nearly all software package companies offers you a totally free test period which you could function with the program for a limited moment free. This will assist you to review a couple of, 3 or higher applications concurrently, along with make a decision what kind is the greatest suit to your daycare centre.

Daycare Computer software could be a friendly tool which preserves anyone a long time of your energy in a few of the menial elements of your career. Use the instincts for you to marijuana out there software programs which have been hard [url=http://www.viasoft.pl/]oprogramowanie biurowe[/url] to make use of, along with ensure that the one you ultimately choose can be safeguarded possesses a great help along with preservation approach.

laurpibiaNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Jan 04 12 at 12:31 pm
    I visited various web pages but the audio feature for audio songs current at this site 7 Things That Suck About Growing Up | The Steel Closet | Good to Go! is genuinely marvelous.

louis vuitton replica beltNo Gravatar added these pithy words on May 29 13 at 2:44 pm
    Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it

adult chatroulette alternativeNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Jul 07 13 at 11:15 pm

Jual Cincin Kawin Emas PutihNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Oct 06 13 at 11:36 pm
    I never read such beautiful article before. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an email if interested. Thank you!

sticker mobilNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Dec 10 13 at 11:34 pm
    My personal favorite is cilantro because it really adds a kick to the dish
    but you can also use parsley, chives, mint and basil. Essentially, you need to know the Food Regulations appertaining to your own country.
    Another thing to be aware of is that your grinder may be extremely durable, but that does not mean it is indestructible.

weed burr coffee grinder amazonNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Feb 26 14 at 12:46 am
    yoou are in reality a just right webmaster.
    The webb site loading speeed is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any distinctive trick.

Also, Thhe contents are masterwork. you’ve done a magnificent process
    in this subject!

luminophores.euNo Gravatar added these pithy words on Apr 30 14 at 4:51 pm
    Hello, I would like to subscribe for this weblog to get hottest updates, so where can i do it please
    assist.